Big_Blue

R160 Cockpit not bailing

21 posts in this topic

Bought a 2016 R160 last year with a 90HP engine.  I was excited at the prospect of having a self bailing cockpit but dealer told me that option was out due to weight of engine. Due to this design water has nowhere to go leaving people in the jump seats with wet shoes.  I've resorted to manually bailing the water with my emergency hand bilge but that gets old quick.  

I'm considering deck drains to fix.

I don't see this issue corrected in the 2017 model either.  

Anyone else run into this issue?

Yeah, the web site says " Self Bailing Cockpit (N/A with 90hp Engine) " when you look at the standard features for the cockpit. I assume by deck drains you mean to drain the water into the bilge and let the bilge pump handle it? Suggest if you go that route you use hoses to get it low into the bilge so it doesn't splash around too much on the way there.

Spoke with the service department and it appears Robalo addressed this issue in 2017 by having a perforated deck plate on the bilge inspection port.(located underneath the gas tank).  For 2016 owners there are a few options,

1. Purchase and replace deck plate with the perforated one
  2. Remove the deck plate altogether. (Should be okay since gas tank sits right on top) 
  3. Drill holes in the existing cover

this is why i bought the 70hp... it's over 100lbs lighter than the 90hp and the power is enough. i don't think i'd want to have all that water drain to the bilge though... why not just plug the scuppers when you have a bunch of people aboard and sitting in the stern? i bet the scuppers function fine when nobody is sitting in the stern.

My boat is rigged with an Evinrude 90HO which is about 30lbs heavier than the Yamaha 90.  Engine, battery, oil tank and 15lb anchor under jump seat and the scuppers are near the water line or just below. I'm planning to move the anchor to the bow locker but don't think that would be enough of an off-set.

yeah... that's a lot of weight. I'm not understanding the 'solution' of having water freely flow to the bilge through holes in the inspection cover though. if you have that much water coming in, via back flow through your scuppers, then you should just plug the scuppers instead of having it drain to your bilge only to get constantly pumped out.  you could always pull the plugs when it gets rough and you need self bailing capability just make sure nobody minds wet feet!

The scuppers being plugged is the issue.  Once the water comes on deck it has nowhere to go.  With the fix the scuppers would remain plugged.

i see... yeah, that's a tough one. are you actually getting that much water on board running with the scuppers plugged? i guess, to me, that 'fix' really changes the design of the boat though... and not for the better. i guess you can always retain your original bilge inspection cover if you want to revert back... easy enough to try it out! i gotta say though (not to rub salt in your wounds or anything, but more for the benefit of anybody else reading this who is considering a r160 purchase) that your engine at 390lbs isn't a great all around choice for the r160 hull... maybe the non HO evinrude 90hp as it's only 320lbs would be nice though. i'd almost consider talking to my dealer and trying to swap outboards rather than deal with the headaches of a stern heavy small boat. good luck!!

Does any owner with a 90HP and a perforated plate have a picture of this drainage system to post? I would consider this modification to upgrade to a 90HP

Thanks

Simply holes drilled in the cover.  And they eliminate the two drain holes on the transom.  Doesn't make up for the engine being too heavy.  Our 70hp comes with two rubber plugs for the holes.

My boat is stored for the winter so no pics till spring.  Robalo's solution was to replace the bilge inspection port cover(the one under the fuel tank) with one that has two metal drains.  This now comes standard on new boats but dealer replaced mine free of charge.  Its important to note that your boat will not be self-bailing with anything bigger than a 70HP and you will need to plug the two scuppers on the transom.

On 1/17/2017 at 10:28 AM, FullThrottle said:

Thanks everybody for the discussion

This is the picture I was sent by Robalo's Dealer to show me how it seems to be the standard now for R160 with 90 HP. 

Are the holes to be drilled where I put the arrow?

Deck Drain.jpg

My dealer installed the same stainless drains pictured on the porthole cover itself.  

Drilling in the plastic cover and installing the drains seems the best option. 

Did you all have a hose directed to the bilge? or not necessary

Thanks everybody for the advise

We bought the R160 with the 70hp, because it was clear to me that the 90hp is simply too heavy a motor for that boat.  I can say that with the 70hp we have a similar issue if two people are sitting on the back seats - the scuppers let water in.  We have the rubber plugs inserted most of the time.  Of course with two adults sitting in those seats, even with the 90 that boat's not going to plane, an adult has to stand and walk to the console.

R160 has a great feature - the ability to fit in a normal garage on the trailer.  We bought it for a different reason - a boathouse slip with 7' 6" of width.  Any boat that was bigger had an 8' beam, and we decided we'd rather be boating last summer instead of working on a 1 year project (including approvals) to build a bigger boathouse and spend $40 - $60k.  

Having used the R160 for a summer on a lake, I can say that in any type of wave action the boat is too small, gets tossed around.  

We have plans in the next few years to move to warmer climates and will likely purchase a bigger boat at that time.  I can say that we'll be looking at many different brands, and definitely doing a test run in wave action before buying anything.  

I don't think you need to do both.  Having the drains installed on the cover provides plenty of drainage.  The bilge is right below deck so no tubes needed.  With regards to weight distribution, moving the anchor to the bow storage area and battery under the console improved the boats balance greatly.  Wish the 18gl tank was below deck instead of adding weight to the transom but that'll have to be on the next boat.

Fellow Anglers,

Interesting information on the engine size and weight distribution. Is it a ridiculous idea to go with 

the Yamaha 50 or is that just not enough power to get on plane with 3 adults and gear even if properly

situated both fore and aft. Any thoughts before I tap into my savings for this upcoming purchase?

or just play it safe and get the Yamaha 70....?

I have the 70 and  cannot imagine having the 50.  With me driving and 2 adults in the rear seats it would not plane.

I don't think you'll be able to get on plane.  I've seen some promo videos with the 50HP but always with kids motoring.  I would ask for an on the water with the 50HP before going that route.  But think you'll be happier with the 70 though.

Here's a link to the performance bulletin for the 70.

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/outboards/115-50-hp/70-50/f70/pb_rob_r160_f70la_2015-03-25_occ