Nick D

Raymarine EV 100

Looking to install autopilot on my 2016 R 180 this spring. Looking at the Raymarine EV 100.

Does anyone have this unit installed on their Robalo. How does it work for you. Looking for a unit that will hold course trolling in 1 to 3 footers on lake Michigan. 

Or any other unit that works good without breaking the bank.

Thanks Nick

Sorry to Hijack but I am also interested in installing a auto pilot on my R222 for trolling in Lake Michigan and would like to see what people are doing.  I would like to stick with a Garmin as I have a Garmin 741xs and was told that you may loose a few of the options the Garmin offers if you use different brands of AP via the nema 2000.  I run a kicker with a tie bar hook up so I have an added variable.  Has anybody else tried this and what system did they go with.

I put a Raymarine EV-100 on my R207 summer 2015. Hardest part was cutting the metal panel for the P70R power head. You can see it on the right of the control panel ( http://forum.robalo.com/index.php?/gallery/album/22-r207trimtabs/ ). I suspect I use it every time I go out in the boat and since I added the autopilot I've probably added over 300 hours to the engine.

I find it works fine most of the time when I'm trolling or cruising EXCEPT when I'm running at certain angles in 3+ foot waves and a good wind. Running into or with large waves is fine, but at 40-50 degrees with large waves and wind it may have difficulty holding the line. I was out today trolling in 2 1/2 to 3 foot waves and all was good, but the winds were only about 7-12 MPH. When the combination is 3+, 15-20 MPH and a bad angle that I have the most trouble. When that happens I'll fish the angle while I drive the boat and when I get a fish on I'll turn the boat directly into the waves and let the autopilot drive.

I suspect on a 180 the EV-100 autopilot would perform better than on the R207 and I have no complaints since it meets my needs (mostly trolling while alone on the boat, but also when cruising out 40 miles offshore to go after bigger fish). Got to admit I don't usually plan to be out in 3+ and windy, but sometimes it happens unexpectedly while I'm already offshore and I get to spend a few hours being happy I bought a Robalo and know it will handle it and get me home.

I know running on Lake Michigan is different than out on the Atlantic, but I hope this helps.

I have the EV 100 an use it in Lake Huron an my 227. It works fine. Ensure it will work with your GPS. My older raymarine fish finder would not hook up directly to the  unit.   I understand lowrance now has a cheaper unit available.