GaryC

R180 in garage

Hi all, new to forum. Do not own a boat yet, but I have owned quite a few in the past. I am in the market for a center console that will fit in my garage. I live in an hoa community and no trailers are allowed outside. I have narrowed my search down to 2 boats. Both 18 footers. The r180 is pretty much number 1. My garage is 24 feet deep. But I need at least 3 feet from the back wall for work bench etc. The depth is not the problem. I have the standard 16x7 garage door. My opening height for comfort is 6'11". That seems to be the problem. I already figure I would get the fold down windshield.  But its hard to measure accurately the height from the ground. I'd hate to get a boat home and not be able to get inside by a few inches! Has anybody done this? Sorry for the long first post. But thanks for all your time!

I don't think this boat on the standard trailer will go in your garage. Check the specification page on the website and the dimensions on and off the
trailer are listed. The height on the trailer with the fold down windshield is listed as 7'2". The windshield and support bar are removable through
the locker access but this would be painful to do for every use. 

...I put my R 180 in my24' garage (deep) last winter, ..I had to remove the windshield, ( the dash compass too ! )....glad I had the folding tongue. My garage has a 7' door, I got it n in but the 7' height is really close !!!...but the R180 is worth it.

Yea, I figured the r160 would work. But I really want an r180 or similar. A salesman said they have done it by lowering the boat on the trailer. But it already seems that its as low as it can go. I'm also thinking, maybe changing to 14 inch wheels and lower profile tires. But do not know if any of this can be done. This would really suck if I'm short by a couple of inches! Hey joebalo have you come across this? Just read your post wildoats. That encouraging! I was also thinking about deleting the compass. I've seen a compass that will mount on the front of the dash instead of the top. My next gripe would be that I really would like a Mercury 150 but thats another post!

Many Robalo owners have experienced chips along the bottom edge of the hull as a result of the boat striking the trailer fender when launching or retrieving at the launch ramp, as detailed in this discussion.

The dealer might be able to successfully move the trailer bunks further apart to allow the top of your R180's center console to sit lower and pass beneath your 7-foot garage door opening, however, pay attention to the resulting clearances between the bottom edges of the hull and the trailer fenders.

It may be necessary to install side guides on the trailer to eliminate the possibility of your R180 striking the trailer fender when moving the boat onto or off the trailer.

Regarding your preference for Mercury outboards, there was a recent announcement about Robalo boats offering a Mercury outboard selection, so perhaps your dealer can determine from Robalo when that will occur, just in case you'd delay your order until Mercury is available.

We regularly trailer & garage our R180, though we're fortunate to have an 8-foot high garage door.  

Good luck! 

Another idea is to deflate your tires to get in under the 7 ft clearance... you could re-inflate once you get the boat in place. I too get my 2016 180 in the garage (8ft) but have to remove the windshield. Since I only do this a couple times a year its not a big deal. Relative to your comment about the Merc, I ordered my boat without an outboard and had the dealer install a 150 Etec, I couldn't be happier with the power and performance, I also got a 7 year warranty. If you do order the boat, be sure to get trim tabs, many will tell you they are not necessary but in a chop you will be really glad you have them.The 180 has a great layout,is extremely dry and handles beautifully. If you are planning on getting a 150 be sure to get seastar steering as the baystar will be insufficient,Good luck.

Mine was the original post on the fender chipping the hull.  The dealer had to raise the bunks up because the fender would flex when going down the road.  Only after I pointed this out to them did they realize that is what is happening since when you are loading the boat the hull can only go as low as the bunks will allow and they were raised up enough to clear the fenders, but when it's the fenders that move then it's a poor design.  I actually attempted to fit my R180 in my garage to no avail but my problem with the standard door height is that even with the folding windshield the top of the leaning post is a touch higher.  So mine has to sit outside with a cover on it.  For the winter however I am going to deflate the tires to squeeze it in.  

As CapeCodAngler stated I would definitely get the trim tabs.  I have the 115 and although performance is plenty even in rough conditions on the great lakes it would be nice to get the stern up to plane easier at lower speeds.  The 150 though would make it a perfect boat though.  Robalo's deal with Yamaha is only in the US, as Mercury is available internationally so a trip to Canada might be in order.B)

Thanks for all the comments guys! I contacted coyote about customizing a trailer to work. Waiting to hear back. Strkrace86, can you measure the height from the ground to your leaning post or what ever is the highest point? As I stated before I dont have a choice but to keep my boat in the garage. If this won't work I'll have to rethink what boat to get.

GaryC, please keep us posted on your findings. I am literally and figuratively on the same boat as you. My garage can fit the R180 length-wise but my garage door is also 6'11" high, so I really really want to shave off those darn 3 inches! 

4 hours ago, GaryC said:

Strkrace86, can you measure the height from the ground to your leaning post or what ever is the highest point?

If the leaning post is too tall, perhaps you can special-order the R180 with the R160 seat? It doesn't look as cool, I know ....

..I 'm sure you can fit it in, 7', remove windshield, compass, deflate tires some, ..Trim Tabs a must for me,

Cape Cod angler is right on.

On 9/24/2016 at 7:45 AM, CapeCodAngler said:

Another idea is to deflate your tires to get in under the 7 ft clearance... you could re-inflate once you get the boat in place. I too get my 2016 180 in the garage (8ft) but have to remove the windshield. Since I only do this a couple times a year its not a big deal. Relative to your comment about the Merc, I ordered my boat without an outboard and had the dealer install a 150 Etec, I couldn't be happier with the power and performance, I also got a 7 year warranty. If you do order the boat, be sure to get trim tabs, many will tell you they are not necessary but in a chop you will be really glad you have them.The 180 has a great layout,is extremely dry and handles beautifully. If you are planning on getting a 150 be sure to get seastar steering as the baystar will be insufficient,Good luck.

I'm ordering the 160, but did not see an option on the sea star steering. I'm ordering the bay star hydrolic steering.

can someone tell me the difference between the two ?

If you are ordering the 160 there probably is not an option. On the 180, sea star is standard with the 150 Hp motor. It is more heavy duty and able to handle the added power of the larger motor. Bay Star is rated up to 150 HP but is really only good up to about 125.

GaryC or anyone in the same situation,

Were you able to make this work?  I am in the exact same garage size and HOA situation and the dealer is checking with Coyote to see about a custom trailer, but would like to hear if anyone here found a solution.

GaryC, I have the same problem.  My Garage door height is 7' and I have plans to put my boat into that garage.  I have ordered the fold down windshield but I think I will still be short.  My plan is to rebuild the garage door support.  The 2x10" header of the garage door span is the lowest member and then 2x4"  studs go from the top of the header to 2 top plates holding up the the floor joist above.  My plan is from the inside remove the header and the 2x4" studs above and push the header all the way up and put the studs beneath the header to a new bottom plate. The Header is taking the load, the studs and bottom plate under the header act as a nailer for the trim around the door. I will not make the studs as long as they were and figure I can increase the height by 8".  Don't forget to temporary support the floor joist above with a temporary wall before you take out the Header. Yes, I plan on replacing the garage door as it needs to be done anyway.

First, my R180 came into the Marina about 3 weeks ago so i asked the guy at the Marina to measure the height of the boat sitting on the trailer with the windshield folded down as I knew from these posts it wasn't 7'2".  He measured 7'8".  

My plan is to reframe the opening of the garage door and buy a new 8' x 10' garage door.  I had a structural Engineer spec out an LVL beam using 1.75" x 7 1/2".  This allows me to replace the existing two 2" x 9 1/4" header and replace with a shorter LVL header and move the header all the way up to underside of the two top plates of the framed out wall.  Doing this I went from 6' 11 1/4" height to a 7'10 1/2" height.  That should leave me with 2 1/2" margin.

The other problem I had was my garage door opening was only 8' 10" which is the exact width of the trailer.  Knowing this ahead of time a spec'd the new beam to span 10'.  This leaves 1' 4" of margin.

I needed a new garage door anyway.

Dave

Update:

The new 8' x 10' garage door now gives me 7' 9 1/2" height and 10' wide.  I haven't picked up the boat yet to try it, but I'm thinking it has to fit in the opening.

Edited by DaveR
update

Besides the new garage door it was about $300.  The cost of the LVL beam was $154, studs $50, new trim around outside door $75, misc $25 for a total of around $300.  I had no labor cost since I did the work myself.

Man I wish I had an affordable solution like that. I’m short on width height and depth but knew that going in. Also knew the cost of slip and Winter storage before buying my boat and still moved forward. I like having the slip as we use the boat more than we would if we had to launch each time. I’m happy with that cost. This year and this year only I got free indoor climate controlled storage for the winter so I’m happy with that cost too. But boy do I wish I could have my boat in my garage all winter so I could tinker with her. I’m envious of all of you that have this option. 

I had a article on this topic awhile back, I got mine in,... But "Removed the windshield" (compass too), Let of the air in the tires, with The 24' deep garage , you have to work around that workbench.  worth the struggle though. Much more boat than a R160.

I wanted the Mercury too , .. Yamaha 150 is fine, But I Painted and clear coated it Black.... and the new decals cost more than my labor, Sure gets Compliments though.