14 posts in this topic

Bought our R180 5 weeks ago and it already has a chip in the hull caused by the trailer fender.  Spoke to my dealer and they said they have had multiple R180's come in with this issue and it is caused by the fenders when the boat is being loaded onto the trailer.  The fenders have to be out of the water which would mean that you have to drag all 3,000 lbs of the boat onto the bunks.  To me that seems like a giant pain in the you know what.  I have been around boats my entire life and I have never seen or heard of a bunk trailer with this situation.  You would think that a trailer made exclusively for this model boat would fit better.  My dealer said that there is not a solution as of right now and on that trailer you cannot readjust the bunks ("it would make the boat unstable") and to readjust the fenders would require an extensive amount of modification.  Anyone else having this issue?  Any thoughts as to what can be done to correct the problem?  I am a little irritated since I had to cancel a fishing trip that I have been planning for a very long time and any help would be appreciated.

Soon after taking delivery of my Robalo, I experienced problems at the launch ramp with my 2013 R180's stern settling uncentered onto the trailer bunks.

I installed 5-foot-long carpeted side guides to control the lateral placement of my R180 on the trailer, and subsequently the hull loads on-center every time.

After reading the several Forum comments about hull chipping due to striking a trailer fender, I'm thankful that I promptly added the side guides to remedy the off-center problem, which also provided me the unanticipated benefit of eliminating the hull chipping risk.

Good luck!

R180%20Trailer%20Side%20Guides_zpsq6e6dy

Haz

May I ask where you got your side guides from. My new R 180 came into the dealer this morning. I do not want to have the problems strkrace86 has He emailed me some pictures of his problem.

Thanks Nick

I bought my C.E. Smith side guides from etrailer.com.

Regardless of what brand or where you buy, measure the height of your trailer's side member to ensure that the U-bolts you'll receive are long enough to successfully mount the side guard support bracket.

You may or may not require the accessory extra-long U-bolt kit.

Good luck!

My R-180 came on a Karavan trailer, the first thing I did was order plastic fenders from Karavan and toss the aluminum ones then I spread the bunks out about 1/2 in. each side on the front and about 2-2 1/2 in. at the stern.  Giving the space between the bunks a slight V shape let's the stern of the boat sit a little lower and helps center it when pulling into the trailer. 

I too bought an r180 in April and have had major problems with the Coyote Trailer. I would check the brackets that hold the fender on...the welds fail and the fenders flex and actually hit the bottom of the boat. If the gel coat chips are directly above the fender, the may be occurring due to fender flex while trailering. If you see any cracks along the weld    I would get them replaced asap as you can loose the entire fender. I have been to trying to get a commitment from Robalo as to when the assembly will be redesigned. To date, I am not getting much satisfaction. The whole design is flawed and the two bolt mounting allows for vibration which breaks the welds. Also, you have only 1/2 inch clearance from the fender to the bottom of the boat....incredibly stupid. 

IMG_3030.JPG

My R180 came with an EZ-loader and the boat has never sat right on the bunks. I got the CE Smith guides and now I can load the boat with no problems but often have to back down the ramp to get it to sit right. Even at its best I still have a 1 inch of center most of the time. 

I have had problems with my trailer hitting my r180 since day one.  This is ridiculous.  I am on the fifth repair.

Much has been written about the design flaws for the R-180 coyote trailer. If your damage is occurring directly above the fenders, it is due to inadequate clearance between the fender and the boat. While trailering, the boat moves up and down some when you hit bumps in the road, and the fender is striking the boat.  It took me several trips on my R-180 to reach this conclusion. At some point Coyote figured this out, and now uses an improved bunk attachment bracket that is 1.5 inches taller than the previous one. I obtained these brackets by calling Coyote trailer and speaking with Dalton Money, the warranty manager.  He required me to send photos of my damaged R-180. It required an additional phone call to him 3 weeks later to get the brackets sent. I have installed them. Be advised that they are taller and wider,  and will require you to drill new holes in your bunks. I moved my bunks back 2 inches, so that all the drill holes would not be aligned. That would create structural weakness on the bunk board. When my bunk carpet needs replacement, I will replace the bunk board with a longer one. I have also made several modifications to the trailer to prevent damage from fenders. Home Depot flooring dept. has a rubber baseboard material that is about 5 in wide and 1/16 thick. Comes in 4 ft pieces. I cut a strip about 3 inches wide by about 20 inches long. I then glued it to the top and inside edge of the fender. This requires clamps and removal of the fenders. I unsuccessfully attempted to post photos of this in a prior post. These modifications should prevent most future damage from trailer while loading or trailering.  An additional modification was to add another cross beam about 30 inches forward of the existing forward beam. This beam has a center roller, which will provide additional stability and support while loading.  I have noticed that the trailers for the 184 Mako and the Sea Hunt 188 both have 4 bunks instead of 2, and also has an additional forward cross beam. The additional bunks are to provide more forward support, which the coyote R-180 trailer lacks. Note that the 2017 R-180 sits higher on the trailer, and the fenders are now being mounted from underneath the I-frame.  FYI Spectrum Gel coat, made in robalo arctic white is an excellent color match for the current robalo white hull. A 2oz repair kit is about $30. It is a time consuming, but relatively easy repair. You can get it from iboats.com. Hope this helps!

kpate's Coyote trailer fender with rubber baseboard material applique...

kpates%20R180%20coyote%20trailer%20fende

Good luck!

The issue of the boat striking the fenders while trailering appears to be confined to the R-180, as I have not seen seen this complaint with other Robalo models. The 2017 modification, which gives greater clearance over fenders, should resolve this.