KP

R160

10 posts in this topic

I'm looking into purchasing a R160. Storage limitations prevent me from looking at anything larger. Any opinions/insight on the R160, such as preferred engine size or any issues from R160 owners? I will be a first time boat owner and the boat will be used primarily on the SC Intercoastal waterways and rivers. 

If it was me, since I have operated both the 70hp and the 90hp engines, I would totally pick the 90hp. They are great boats that can fit into most garages.

On June 6, 2016 at 0:20 PM, fishhead said:

If it was me, since I have operated both the 70hp and the 90hp engines, I would totally pick the 90hp. They are great boats that can fit into most garages.

If I may ask, What is the difference you noticed in the 70 vs 90? How must fast to plane and how much was the top speed?

Sure: plane time 70 3.8 secs 90 3.0   @ 4000rpms 70 21.5 90 27.4mph WOT 70 37.3 90 42.6mph and that is with a couple people.

35 minutes ago, fishhead said:

Sure: plane time 70 3.8 secs 90 3.0   @ 4000rpms 70 21.5 90 27.4mph WOT 70 37.3 90 42.6mph and that is with a couple people.

Awesome! Thanks, I couldn't find any numbers online for the 90hp. 

Bought mine 2 months ago for the GA waterways.  It is fantastic!  I went with the manufacturer recommended f70 and could not be happier.  I haven't ran with 6ppl yet but with full bait, sodas, gear and 4 adults still hit 32 MPH.  Had it in Wassaw Sound a couple weeks ago with 6ft seas, stayed completely dry and boat performance was very confident.  I will be looking for a larger gas tank as I have the 12gal and have ran low on an accession but that was after a long day of glass water and high speed runs.  Only down side I can find is lack of anchor storage...

Congrats on your purchase Orki.  I had my R160 in rough seas several times last year.  I agreed with you on handling you're not punching through any waves but 6-7 knots will get everyone back home nice and dry.  I opted for the 18 gl tank and have never used more than 1/2 a tank in a single trip.  

On 6/6/2016 at 0:20 PM, fishhead said:

I read somewhere that the added weight of the 90, and someone seated in the bad makes the scupper drain below water line 

and water come into the bilge.

You're correct River Horse, the weight of the 90 cancels the ability to self-bail.  Any water on deck then drains into the bilge via the perforated bilge inspection port cover(located underneath the gas tank).  The perforated port cover is new to 2017.  2016 owners will have to either drill their existing or order the new cover from their local dealer.

Does anyone have a perforated plate and the 90 Hp? Would it be possible to post a picture as I will have to modify mine?

Thanks