Tom

Power Advice for 2015 227 DC.

7 posts in this topic

Just purchased a 2015 227 Duel Console.  Was powered with 150 and I want to repower.  What would be the benefits of going from a Yamaha 200 to a 250?

The answer to your question depends a lot on what you intend to do with the boat. Obviously, you'll go faster with the 250, including your lowest trolling speed. And, you'll use more fuel, have less range and the boat will sit slightly lower in the water. You'd also have more power when pulling towables, etc.

I chose the 150 for my R207 (vice the 115, or 200) to get enough power to pull towables and still have a good cruising speed and range.  The right cruising speed was important to me since it is the speed used most often and the 150 goes slow enough for striper trolling without having to bump in and out of gear a lot. On the towables I'm generally carrying a couple of grandchildren, so it's rare to have over 200 lbs on the towable and the 150 handles that fine.

I guess if I was pulling a more weight on the towables, or was only interested in speed, I'd want the higher HP. Considering my use of the boat the mid-range for the 207 works fine.

Hope that helps.

I will be getting my 2015 R227 middle of next week.  It has the 200.  Once I get to use it I will let you know what I think of the 200.

I purchased a 2016 R227DC November 2015 with a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke and it's a perfect match.  If you can afford it get the shift by wire engine/transmission.  The 250 will cost more but when you have a large load driving against the current/waves you won't regret spending the extra money.  It will also help considerably on resale as well.  I did a demo in the 200 with only 3 on board and felt fine. 

Great boat either way.  Have fun. 

Tony

North Carolina

I am the proud owner of a new to me 2014 R227 with a F200.  

I couldn't be happier with the boat!  But having said that, I think the power is only ok.  If I were to repower I would definitely do the a F250.  It just seems with the heavier boat, it is a little slow to get to plane.  Especially with a 5-6 people on board.