Boondocks

She Has Arrived

19 posts in this topic

Well, like Reelplumber and CaptKen, I've been waiting on this thing for a long time. It's all worth it though. Here are some pictures of the boat unwrapped at the dealership. Next week the electronics are being installed. I went with a Raymarine C120 w/ a 1000W Inhull transducer. DSM 300 module. Raymarine 4KW dome radar. Sirius satellite weather. I should be in the water next weekend. ;)

post-5-1182557765_thumb.jpg

post-5-1182557781_thumb.jpg

Looks good. One thing about the Robalos they look bigger than there size. If you did not list the model I would have quessed she was bigger. Interesting that you went with the in hull transducer. The foam is not a problem? I went with a Garmin 4208 and Furuno depth finder. I used a 1kw transom mount transducer. I went with the TR1 auto pilot. No radar. I do not have the hard top. What is your home port?

Thanks everyone! Good question about the foam. Can Robalo elaborate? Is a in hull transducer ok?

I am having a thru hull trasducer put in, it there a reason that you guys chose not to go thru hull? :unsure:

I am having a thru hull trasducer put in, it there a reason that you guys chose not to go thru hull? :unsure:

I looked hard at a thru-hull. My electronics guys could not find enough room to due the install right. :angry: I was considering the new airmar low profile 1kw. it was not available yet. Plus I did not like drilling through the foam and the liner. I will try the transom mount and see how it performs. I would prefer a thru-hull. :D Where are you placing the thru-hull on your boat.

I looked hard at a thru-hull. My electronics guys could not find enough room to due the install right. :unsure: I was considering the new airmar low profile 1kw. it was not available yet. Plus I did not like drilling through the foam and the liner. I will try the transom mount and see how it performs. I would prefer a thru-hull. :D Where are you placing the thru-hull on your boat.

I will know tomorrow, I am not crazy about the idea of putting a hole in the bottom of the boat either, I do not believe the in hulls are as accurate and was afraid of the transom mount breaking off in rough seas, a least that was what I was told. :angry:

I would not worry about the hole, but penatrating the foam. I have had transom mounts before, no problem in rough seas. The problem was the turbulence at the transom. I switched to a thru- hull and I could keep the bottom at greater speed. But my old boat was a catamaran. My electronics co. offfered a 1kw with a custom transom mount bracket. I will have more info after delivery on Friday. At slower speeds it is not an issue for me. Tthe issue was a 1kw vs a 600w. Keep us posted. The key is the placement.

Boon.....Your boat looks awesome!!! Love the Black!! I hope you and your family enjoy it for years to come. All you need is a good electronic's install and you'll be ready to splash. Going to pull my R220 up to Canada next week for a week of fishing!! Again, Lot's of luck and be safe. Paul

I would not worry about the hole, but penatrating the foam. I have had transom mounts before, no problem in rough seas. The problem was the turbulence at the transom. I switched to a thru- hull and I could keep the bottom at greater speed. But my old boat was a catamaran. My electronics co. offfered a 1kw with a custom transom mount bracket. I will have more info after delivery on Friday. At slower speeds it is not an issue for me. Tthe issue was a 1kw vs a 600w. Keep us posted. The key is the placement.

Well they installed the thru hull today, very nice job. They installed it about 30" infront of the transom opposite of the water pickup, the hull was about 1-1/2 inch thick and hard as a rock. I changed from 4kw array to 4 kw raydome because the outriggers were too close, but that left me money to install a second E80, ofcourse i had to add a little extra. but its going to be a nice package. I'll send pics soon. :unsure:

Thanks Paul! Have a great trip and catch lots of fish. Electronics is scheduled for next week so I'll be in the water next weekend. Lee, that's good news. Now I'm jealous, you have two displays.....Congrats buddy! I feel better about my install now, thanks.

So, one year later, what is your opinion? I just bought a 2007 leftover and it appears to be a great boat. Mine lists about an inch to port so I installed larger batteries and moved them starboard, took care of most of it. Most everything else so far has been fine.

So, one year later, what is your opinion? I just bought a 2007 leftover and it appears to be a great boat. Mine lists about an inch to port so I installed larger batteries and moved them starboard, took care of most of it. Most everything else so far has been fine.

Can't wait to sell it. Next boat will be a Regulator.

It's time to eat my words in case someone takes my word and not buy a Robalo. I love my Robalo, yes I had issues at first and it was very frustating. People like Joe Pegg and others I can't remember came to bat for me and got things done that needed done. As some of you know I was ready to let the boat sit and rot and did not feel safe going out. Robalo worked with my dealer and all issues were resolved, except one. My hardtop still leaks water. Joe, I may need your help on this one. I would not hesitate to buy another Robalo and if are thinking of buying one you will have a great boat and a great supporting cast behind you.