2014 R207 with factory installed dual batteries and have a question on the battery switch.

I have a 2014 R207 with factory installed dual batteries and have a question on the battery switch. In the Owner’s manual page 3-2 has the following:

If the switch is in the:

“OFF” position then only Bilge pump, CO detector and Stereo memory has power.

“#1” Position uses only number 1 battery

“#2” Position uses only number 2 battery

“ALL” Position uses both batteries

It continues on to say that:

The “#1” position will use battery 1 power but will charge both batteries when engine is running.

The “#2” position uses battery 2 they recommend this setting for using power when the engine is not running.

The “All” position they don’t recommend using at all..

So…. Yesterday I went to the marina lowered and started the engine with the battery switch in the “OFF” position. ( I forgot to turn it on) Now I am very confused on what the battery switch is doing? I did check and with the switch in the off position none of the other things worked like the lights, GPS, horn etc..

So my questions are:

Does anyone else have this situation?

Is the battery charging if the engine is running and the switch is set to “OFF”?

Most importantly how do I check this all out?

Thanks for your help… Jim K..

Never tried to start the motor with the battery switch off - but I will next time I'm on the boat. I know the switch cuts off most everything, but mine is wired to hold the radio settings and to maintain the GPS tracks. Of course, the bilge is wired to still work. Didn't know about the engine tilt, but I'll try it sometime too. Since my boat is dry stored I don't use the tilt much.

Thanks.. I will be interested to see if other Robalos are wired like mine. I talked to a friend who is an EE he is going to help me see if we can figure this out.. My biggest concern is that if the engine starts with the switch in the "OFF" position what battery is it getting power from and if that battery goes dead will the switch really divert power from the remaining battery to start the engine.... Maybe I am way over thinking this, but given that the owner’s manual seems to be more of a guide than fact has me concerned. I just don’t want to get stranded because of a dead battery due to me not understanding how things really work..

I have a 2013 R207 with the dual batteries. I know for a fact that the tilt switch doesn't not work with it in the off position. I keep it on a trailer in my driveway and push the switch on the motor to confirm I shut it off as I cover the boat.

Thanks.. Sounds like my boat is wired wrong.. Just to be sure I was not going nuts I tried starting it again with the battery switch off… and it started.. then I had someone at the Marina double check me..

I will let you all know what I find out… Thanks for your help..

• 5 months later...

Update.

I took my R207 to the dealership for winterizing and some minor warrantee work. I asked them to check out the battery switches and told them the engine starts with the switches in the off position. They told me that was impossible. Anyway when I picked up the boat the dealership told me that the engine was wired incorrectly form the factory and they have resolved the problem. Unfortunately I can not check it out as the boat is now shrink-wrapped for the winter.

Its only been a few weeks under the shrink-wrap and already I can’t wait until spring. Its going to be a long winter.

Hope they fixed it correctly. Heading out tomorrow to put a warranty replacement Lowrance on the boat and do some striper fishing. Luckily our winters here allow for year round boating if you don't mind the cold. I did take the boat out in about 1/8" of ice last winter, but the ice was only at the dock area and had clear water once underway. Snow and ice on the parking lot did close the marina for a couple of days (I know because I called to have the boat put out and they said they were closed).

I sit out the last few weeks of February and first few of March unless I hear rumors of stripers. Rest of the year I'm out of the water or waiting for a break in the weather so I can get out. Don't think I'd make it in New York, but I know from several trips up there it is pretty country when it's not winter.

Glad you had that figured out, my R245 will not start or trim the engines with the switches off. I did mess up though as when I stored my boat indoors for the winter while taking the batteries out I did not really pay attention to where the cables were. Hoping that the wires maintain the flex and show me where they were going. I believe there are labels and will contact Robalo prior to removing the boat from storage since I have to trim the motor up.

• 5 years later...

Hi, I have a question. My Robalo R207 2017 the battery was damaged I took out the damaged one and brought the new one but where the battery goes, a Black cable comes out (Negative on the battery) a Red Cable (Positive on the Battery) there is also a yellow cable, and I don't know where is connected, you can guide me. thks

Hi, I have a question. My Robalo R207 2017 the battery was damaged I took out the damaged one and brought the new one but where the battery goes, a Black cable comes out (Negative on the battery) a Red Cable (Positive on the Battery) there is also a yellow cable, and I don't know where is connected, you can guide me. thks