Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LBRobalo

Cracks under 30 hours

11 posts in this topic

New to owning my own boat. Just purchased a new R227 at the beginning of the summer. Unfortunately the experience has not been great and now (with under 30 hours on the boat) I am starting to see cracks appearing in both the floor and up the rear molding by the rod storage on the port side. All the experienced boat owners I know say this is WAY to early to be seeing any cracks, hairline or not.

I have attached some pictures to get opinions. I need to shrink the images considerably in order to upload but I would be more than willing to share all of the full size images.

Thanks!

post-3329-0-72375400-1380655722_thumb.jp

post-3329-0-28396500-1380655740_thumb.jp

Hi,

We had a similar issue , ours was actually worse , but both our dealer and the factory did an excelent job of making the necessary repairs and going over any potential issues, the apparent crack around the latch might not actually be a crack it may be a score, we had several of them around our t top and seat, apparently there is a template that is outlined at the factory and sometimes it results in accidental scoring. As for the hair line cracks where the deck meets the gunwale we had several on both sides, they were repaired and have no signs of returning. We run our boat pretty hard on the long island sound and we keep a vigiliant eye on the areas that were affected and there was no sighn of worsening while waiting for the repairs and no sighn of re-occurance .

Mike

Don't panic....I had the cracks when the boat (R-260) was two month old...the dealer did a great job repairing...However, I think that Robalo has to fix that situation because create a bad taste and stress...by the way, I had to take the boat again last week because now the cuts around the T-Top and seats appear....the boat is now one year old and again the dealer is taking care the situation very well..

Thanks for the info.... Mike, I assume since you are on Long Island you have been dealing with Great Bay. How has your experience been? The salesmen were great but it has been all down hill from there for me.

Sorry to hear that , Both Robalo and Great bay have been extremely helpful and have taken care of our issues in a timely and very professional manner , we waited for the off season to have our service done , that way we did not loose time on the water . Where do you do your boating , we are primarilly north shore , we will probably hit the bay later this month though.

Mike

Thanks for the info.... Mike, I assume since you are on Long Island you have been dealing with Great Bay. How has your experience been? The salesmen were great but it has been all down hill from there for me.

LB- I'm on LI as well and have an R180. I will say that Tim at Great Bay has been great and went way beyond on a recent repair (that was caused by bad gas).

As for stress cracks, I dont have any and I've put her in some decent chop, so I can't be of any help there..

Good luck

New to the forum. I have a R200 just bought in May this year. Sept 20, headed for the keys for the first real week of fishing. While there, I found battery selector not working right, got it to work in one position and continued fishing. Every so often, boat would shut down just like someone pulled the plug. Boat would start back up until departure day when attempting to head to ramp. Had to keep moving selector switch to get current. That was the last time I cranked it. After loading, nothing would power up. Not the tilt, gps, tilt, nothing. On the way home, stopped to check things out and saw stress cracks on the rear starboard side. Not real happy about that. Got home and called shop. Took it in to be checked. They found the battery selector to be bad. Replaced under warranty. Film on horn grill separated and horn got wet. Replaced under warranty in the side. The rub rails show no damage where I'd think the SS rails would bend some. Dealer said stress cracks were checked by their fiberglass guy and said the stress cracks were from impact and is evident by the arc'd shape cracks. Didn't happen. Don't loan the boat and if it ran, I was driving it or sitting beside the driver and know nothing was hit to put cracks in the side. Spoke to the Robalo warranty approval guy Wednesday this week and he's going to check into claim and see what will be done. I'm not enjoying paying this much for a new boat that is having this many issues. I'm concerned about after a year and the warranty is up. I just hope the replacement parts hold up well. Except for the stress crack issue, they've taken care of issues easily. Just not liking the issues for a new boat with the small amount of usage (about 50 hours). I want everything to work out as I like the boat more and more when all is well. Anyone else seen stress cracking on the side?

Elon

Called dealer to see if they heard from Robalo. They were actually fixing the spider cracks at the time and fixed some other crack/issues I didn't even know about. Got the boat back and looks great. Taking it out for a run Sunday. THANKS ROBALO!!!

Seeing same exact issues... I just bought a brand new 2014 R180, only 8 hours on the boat and am seeing stress cracks where the gunwale meets the deck right where the under the gunwale rod storage is. Really nervous about this on a BRAND new boat. I've reported it to my dealer with pics and they are going to look at it when I bring the boat in for 20 hr tune up. Still not liking the fact that this is happening and also hearing from other owners the same thing.

sorry to hear about the issues , we had ours repaired and there has been no further issues the dealer and factory did an excelent job , we have used ours in a kinds of conditions and have not seen any further issues.

Mike

Glad to hear everyone seems to be getting their issues taken care of.  Just bought a R242 and have put about about 7 hours on it, has 17 total, and I just noticed similar cracks on both sides of the gunwale.  Is there anything else I should be looking out for?  Any other tips would be appreciated.  Thanks

-Kai