R207 draft w/150

Good Day, I am in the market for a newer 207. The draft is an issue as I have a lift in a shallow bay, fresh water lake. All the factory docs say 15”. My question is can anyone confirm real life draw of this set up? How can the 15 stated draft be the same for the 150 vs 200 as the specs say? Any feedback welcome. 

thanks!

The dimensions of the outboard shafts do not change based on horsepower. Outboards come in various size shafts based on boat type. For instance, the shaft required for a bass boat is much shorter than a V hull boat.  Therefore, based on your boat the shaft length is the same regardless of engine HP. Mounting in different holes can change draft but it would be the same for both boats. This applies with the motor lowered.

When the spec says draft with engines up, the resulting spec draft is based on the boat hull and dry loaded weight and weight distribution with no extra weight. This boat is going to draft more once fuel, people and equipment are added. The difference between 150 and 200 weight is not enough to make any difference in hull displacement but the amount of fuel, people and equipment will.

I have hit bottom in the stern at a dead low tide, with motor in max trim up position, only to shift weight up front and re-float. If all you have is 15" of water with no tidal fluctuation, you will scrape bottom every time.

Jersey Shore, thanks for the reply. I measured 20 inches from the cross bar on my boat lift to the water surface. I am thinking that should be enough to get the boat into and off the lift. The water depth is a few inches deeper. Concern is the lift cross bar(s) at 20 inches.

So the belief is the 15" draft from the manufacturers tech sheet plus 2-3 inches should be around 18" of "draw". I wonder if Robalo would provide any direct feedback if I tried to contact them? Is there a factory rep that contributes to this forum by chance?

Dave

You can try. I'm sure they could tell you when they are provided the equipment and people weight. They know what a full tank of gas weighs. Gasoline weighs about 6lb/gal.

There is also a Robalo Group on Facebook that has a lot of owners and some knowledgeable people. They could give you actual experience.

If the Manufacturer's draft is accurate (don't know why it wouldn't be). A simplified way to calc, then, is all about water displacement for the added weight and every 62.4 lbs of weight is equivalent to 1 Cu foot of (fresh) water displaced. If you have the added weight, then you can calc the water volume. All you need is to estimate the area of the boat at water level to find how far down in the water you would go.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1711553655771436

I dock my boat in saltwater for the summer and it leaves a water mark at the waterline. It is a R222EX with a spec draft of 15.5". I just measured the water mark at 16.5" draft at the stern motor mount.

The boat generally has a full tank (90 gals) and all my equipment stored on the boat. but no people. 1 inch for fuel and about 100lbs of gear. Close to 650 lbs added. If you add another inch for 3 people.

This boat is slightly bigger than a R207 but also holds 50% more fuel. I can't see the R207 gaining more than 3 inches of draft. Leaving 2 inches. Not a low of clearance but if you are just hand pulling boat in, should be enough. Again ask people on the Facebook group.

Excellent! Thanks for taking the time to do that extra effort. Your math sounds spot on. This level, as mentioned before, is just on/off the lift. Sounds like I will be good. I currently have an 18’ deep v aluminum hull. That manufacture told me 17-18 draft with full weight loaded. I have had no problems to date with my current boat. Things are looking better.