Where is my boat?

DrewsterR222EX—When did you sign purchase agreement for your Robalo, and what size outboard?   I signed purchase agreement on March 27 and was given a scheduled delivery date of May 3rd, then mid June, then July 16 (tomorrow).  Dealers were aware of the Yamaha shortage/import issues as early as January, 2021 per videos posted on YouTube!  But my dealer took my deposit and advised me of the “scheduled delivery date” and failed to mention the known issues with Robalo production or the shortage of Yamaha outboards.  All of us value the Robalo brand as evidenced by our signed Purchase Agreements. We all would like to believe the allocation process of boats and outboards is fair, and that during these difficult times that the boats and outboards are being allocated to purchasers on a first-come, first-served basis. However, I ask is that really the case?  In May, I was told that Robalo has struggled to develop a system/process to keep customers up to date during production delays. WHAT???  Hey Robalo…It’s simple…Be completely transparent with information and insist your franchised dealers do the same!!   Post shipment information weekly on the Robalo website along with the original scheduled production date so ALL purchasers of Robalo products can be informed!  The dealers claim to be in the dark and only know what Robalo provides to them.  Robalo, aside from it’s own shortage issues, claims to be at the mercy of Yamaha who has struggled with production and shipping issues from Japan. So, in a way, Yamaha is controlling Robalo.  To Yamaha’s credit, at least the President posted a video on YouTube explaining the current situation. It is painfully obvious to me that Robalo’s old way of doing business has failed them, and their dealers, and their retail customers during these supply chain problems. Hey Robalo, we, your retail customers just want to be treated fairly and receive information that proves boats and outboards are delivered on a first-come, first-served basis!  Maybe give some thought and ACTION to my suggestion to post/update boat and motor shipments to dealers on your website WEEKLY. That will keep retail customers and dealers current with the status of their DELAYED DELIVERY.  EVERYONE—when posting, please supply your purchase order date and outboard size. It could help each of us to know we are receiving fair treatment. Thanks. 

I signed my purchase agreement on 3/23 with a delivery date of 6/3 - I had two days to change options and opted for a blue hull and the 250 HP engine upgrade. Then it became 6/24 - then a lot of silence. I’ll admit - I’ve heard from other manufacturer dealers that dealerships ‘should’ have known about the Yamaha issue a lot earlier than they’ve let on. Yamaha was protecting some manufacturers - like Grady - but Robalo isn’t on that list. I get the sense that two things happened - dealers sold boats they knew weren’t going to show - and that motors are being shipped to favored customers.

I’ve told my dealer that if the boat can be ON MY MOORING the week of August 8th then fine - I’ll accept shipment. After that - screw it - I’ll either buy used or wait another year until the glut of used boats hits.

July 19, 2021     Received text message from dealership sales rep that stated they received the MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) for my Yamaha 150.  This typically indicates that the outboard should arrive within the next day or two.  I am hopeful that this prolonged, months-long process will be completed within the next 7 calendar days.  I will post updates to this forum as they occur.  Signed my Purchase Agreement on March 27, 2021 and the original expected completion date/delivery date was first week of May.

July 19, 2021 R222 update: I was one of luckiest but still a frustrating ordeal, after 4 weeks of delayed and per this forum I reached out to Robalo customer service, a receptionist took by phone number and email address for somebody from Robalo to contact me, I figure a day or two, after a week I called back (with the same mobil phone) and no answer, I was not happy, the next day I used a different mobil and bingo they answer and again they took my info but Robalo customer service never contact me, this was June 25th, late the same day I called the dealer very upset but calm and I explain to them that I was paying for a dock and nothing floating in it, I told them I need a date so I can plan, didn't care if it was August 1st, Sep 1st or Dec 1st, I needed to know so I can plan accordingly!!! then poof lucky I get a text early Monday June 28th from the dealer salesman that my boat arrived at the dealer (with the engine), this was great news as I was on vacation the following week but the bottom paint will not be ready until after the holidays (or mid vacation at the lake), I was NO I will pick the boat and have it for the week vacation and will make sure everything is working okay, then I will take it back and they can paint the bottom (lake Erie a must), I took the boat back with the engine broken in per Yamaha instructions, I did find some minor issues with the boat, the dealer was very accommodating that all my issues were taken care (they called it warranty recall), I have now the boat back, I am extremely happy with my choice of the Robalo R222, I get a lot compliments and the ride is better than expected, the fishing not so good but only if the weather will cooperate.

I hope you are all floating soon.

After reading all of these messages and seeing the delivery issues, which I know is wearing on those that have orders in,  I have decided to NOT order a 246 Cayman until things slow down.  In fact, the unfortunate things happening to good Robalo customers has convinced me to put a new fuel tank in my 1977 R 190 and get back to fishing the lower Texas coast.    Saw the transom crack postings which also bothered me so I guess I will let them work out the delivery and other issues while I continue to use a great boat!!  Good luck to all of you who are experiencing the delivery issues, hopefully things will improve quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Signed a purchase agreement March 27th and was originally told I would have (not delivered, have) the boat by 3rd week of July. Well, after multiple delays and reassurances that the boat will be delivered with the engine despite shortages, found out that this was ALL incorrect. Finally got an email back from Robalo telling me that despite my boat being “in production” for the last two weeks, it will be shipped out august 17th without an engine. My Boating season ends in late September when my docks get pulled for the winter. Still haven’t heard back from my dealership. Frustrated!!!!

I placed an order and paid my deposit for a 226 Cayman in September 2020.  The boat was complete by March 2021 and has been sitting around the corner from my house without a motor since then.  I have been told my motor was off the coast of California, then told it went to Washington, last update I got the ship was being rerouted to Georgia to get unloaded.  The motor was then going to be shipped from Georgia north and should have arrived by August 8, 2021 at the latest.  Summer is almost over in this area, and I have waited almost a year since paying my deposit..... How is it other Robalos are getting motors and mine has not.  I realize in the world of Robalo my 226 Cayman is not the most expensive boat they sell, but I cant help but believe they allocated my motor at some point to a boat they would make more money on.  

My 202EX was delivered to dealership in mid May, and Yamaha 150 was mounted by dealership last week of July.   There are several topics in the Newbies forum that detail the significant delays endured by Robalo customers. I suggest you acquaint yourself with all the forums about these delays, and click to follow the discussion in each one. If all “almost-owners” would do this and also update their posts as I did when I picked up my boat, it could help everybody to get a better understanding of when you may actually get your boat. I know how frustrating it is for you.

So this is my final update in this subject - my dealer took possesion of the hull July 8th. Someone from Robalo actually contacted me and suggested a contact the dealer because Yamaha had been providing them updates. I did so the delaer tole me that the engine (Yamaha 250) would be delivered August 2nd - fine - as long as the boat is on my mooring by the week of the 8th - we're all good. Then silence (always my favorite approach) until I asked for an update on July 22nd and was told that they are now saying 250s are mid-September or October (which I also doubt). So I cancelled the order - I got a LOT of pushback around cancelling but honestly the Maine lake boating season is short - so short in fact that some boats in my cove are already baing pulled out for the season. Getting the motor in September really means having it built to go directly into storage without it even getting wet.

Frankly I am glad I did cancel - the chatter on other forums and Facebook about issues with 2021 models is starting to be concerning (this is also just as true for cars, boats, consumer electronics, etc.). On the Robalo Facebook page just today - there is a comment from a new 2021 R247 boat owner who is experiencing a "loud banging when they go over waves larger than 1 foot" - when their dealer contacted Robalo they were told that there are "some reinforcements in the wall behind the head that must have been missed in construction" and were advised to have the dealer "blow some foam into the area". Needless to say this didn't work and that's on a $140K boat.

I work in an industry that sees a lot of different fabrication facilities all around the country and universally they are all short of workers - especially experienced ones. Sabre Yachts up here in my neck of the woods is holding job fairs constantly, Bath Iron Works (in Bath, Maine) has recruitment programs throughout the country - as far away as California - offering relocation packages for people with all ranges of experince. They are paying top dollar for fabrication experience so there is a ton of turn-over in those roles as people chase the dollars. My thinking as it stands today is to avoid buying a new car, or boat, or anything that requires skill to build by hand for 2021 and possibly 2022. That makes those 2019 & 2020 models attractive as heck right now!!!

I have a r230 sitting at dealership waiting for a 250 Yamaha. No one can tell me when to expect the engine. The dealership says rabolo ordered it so they need to provide updates. All I want to know is when to expect the damn engine. Someone needs to get there head out there ass and communicate with the costumer and keep them updated. 

It won’t happen. Have you read the many posts regarding the Yamaha delay on multiple topics in this forum. Please see Where is my Boat and Almost-Owners deserve better communication and other topics posted here.  They will provide some context for you. Best of luck to you!

I no longer own a Robalo and I called my boat manufacturer today about a seat I'm having a problem with. He began his answer with "Any part you'll need will take at least 12 weeks before delivery". Robalo is one of many having supply issues. I agree that communications is key when these problems arise, but that's part of why I don't have a Robalo anymore. Over the years I owned a Robalo I attempted to contact someone, anyone who could answer a question. Only once was the phone answered and then I was told he couldn't help, but he'd have someone call me back... I'm still waiting.

Luckily my Robalo was a quality product and my dealer was very good. I tried calling Robalo when my dealer told me he didn't know how to order the feature I wanted and couldn't get an answer from Robalo. Me either.

Oh, and my call to my current manufacturer today....Now have 3 emails back and forth and just got an email from the seat supplier. Communication is great and they set my expectations before I even told them the problem. That's customer service.

@DH202EX - you said that you spoke with someone at Robalo. How did you get that contact information? My boat was supposed to be done the 13th and the latest update I have is "they will let me know when it's done". 

Like all of you, I'm just looking for some kind of reasonable update. 

Thanks!

Called general phone number for Robalo and asked for customer service. I provided my hull number/ID number and asked for a factory rep to call me.  A fellow named Joe Pegg called me within two hours. Know this…all boats are behind schedule and Yamaha outboards a WAY BEHIND SCHEDULE and usually arrive 2 or 3 months after the boat has been delivered to the dealership. 

• 3 weeks later...