Where is my boat?

My 2021 Robalo was ordered in June of 2020.  It is closing in on May of 2021 and I still don't have it.  I'm being told it's due to a delay in shipping with Yamaha.  However - no one is providing with me an honest answer.  Is that the real problem?  If so - when am I going to get my boat?  By the time I get it in the water - I might as well trade it in for a 2022.

Very Disappointed "not yet" Owner

I can't speak as to Robalo's issue or the particular engine you're getting, but Yamaha does have delivery issues. COVID drove a record number of people to boat purchases and it appears many manufacturers have had difficulty getting employees, supplies, parts and engines. Yours delay does sound excessive, but I'm not sure how Robalo is doing.

https://www.fox9.com/news/supply-chain-issues-and-heavy-demand-are-delaying-boat-orders-by-months

Your Dealer can provide a build code to you that you can click on to go directly to the Robalo site for a current update regarding your boat order. In addition, your dealer can contact the Robalo representative for additional clarification and the EXACT status of your order and expected build-date and dealership delivery date. If your dealer is unable to do this, contact Robalo yourself and provide your build code. Regardless of the reason for delay, all manufacturers have a production schedule that is constantly updated. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spoke to the factory May 17, 2021 and got an update that was helpful to me and everybody who is waiting and waiting for a Robalo boat during these supply chain issues. My boat went into production April 29 and was delivered to dealership in Orlando May 17 WITHOUT THE YAMAHA OUTBOARD. PER YAMAHA, thousands of their outboards were delayed in shipping because of a worldwide shortage of shipping containers. I was advised that my outboard should arrive at Seattle port the first week of June and then be drop shipped to the dealer in Orlando, FL. NORMALLY, the factory mounts the motors but now is not normal. Factory advised me that trailers are shipped to dealerships along with the boat. SO,  maybe I may take delivery 3rd or 4th week of June. Everybody, be patient and understanding. 

Edited by DH202EX
Add a date

DH202EX, thank you for the update, when we bought our R222 this past January the dealer had already ordered the boat, we made the options upgrades (we had until March 2021 to choose the options), the dealer is telling me to continue to check the Boat Tracker on the Robalo website, it has been in pre-production for weeks, I will not be happy if the engine wasn't installed by the oem, that is when the finger point starts when there is an issue.

I am hoping to be floating sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 3:52 PM, DH202EX said:

I spoke to the factory May 17, 2021 and got an update that was helpful to me and everybody who is waiting and waiting for a Robalo boat during these supply chain issues. My boat went into production April 29 and was delivered to dealership in Orlando May 17 WITHOUT THE YAMAHA OUTBOARD. PER YAMAHA, thousands of their outboards were delayed in shipping because of a worldwide shortage of shipping containers. I was advised that my outboard should arrive at Seattle port the first week of June and then be drop shipped to the dealer in Orlando, FL. NORMALLY, the factory mounts the motors but now is not normal. Factory advised me that trailers are shipped to dealerships along with the boat. SO,  maybe I may take delivery 3rd or 4th week of June. Everybody, be patient and understanding. 

What engine(s) are on your boat?  I have a R247 with the single 300hp Yamaha that had a finish date of 5/19.  My dealer said it should be here 1st or 2nd week of June  still and sees no delays.  I told him about your engine issue and he said he would have already received an email if that was the case.  He did say something about one boat that was delivered without an engine and it was the new 250 vmax.  

According to the Robalo factory rep that was very helpful and spoke to me on the phone and thru email…Yamaha sends emails to the factory and/or dealer regarding their supply chain issues and as I recall, these go out on a weekly basis.  The shortage of shipping containers is very real. Some companies in Asia are paying bounties and finders fees or double shipping charges to secure shipping containers for their products. Normally, a Robalo boat is completed about 10 to 12 days after it is started, and the outboard is mounted at the factory in Georgia.  Robalo can’t idle the factory due to the logistical problems at Yamaha, so I believe a decision was made to manufacture an order from A to Z which includes mounting the outboard IF THE OUTBOARD IS AVAILABLE at the factory at the time of production. If unavailable, boats must continue to be produced and transported to the dealer with the outboard(s) to follow when available. My outboard is a 150. The customer service department had the Robalo rep call me about two hours after I requested information.  He said he emailed Yamaha directly and got a response within a couple of hours. I was told that a shipment of Yamaha outboards is due at Port Seattle first week of June, and they will be drop shipped from there. Mine is going to my dealer in Orlando, FL. According to my salesperson, my boat had a SCHEDULED build date of May 3, and NORMALLY it is completed in 10 days and arrives in Orlando a week later. My boat entered production on April 29.  I am hopeful that I can take delivery prior to end of June. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I purchased an R222EX in March that had already been on order for the dealer - I managed to make a couple configuration adjustments as well - i.e. the larger 250 engine and a blue hull vs. grey. Original build-complete date was June 8th and now it is the 21st - which apparently is on-track. That said, just today I was informed that the engine wouldn't be arrive and has no ETA. I read the above posts and would like a couple things - first - can someone share the Yamaha reps information so I can reach out - and someone also indicated that they were told considerably in advance that there wasn't an engine coming and I'm wondering if there are shenanigans being played amongst dealers with some preferred customers getting motors ahead of other customers. It seems they should have known about the motor well in advance of 7 days before build.

thank you!!

Your factory Rep may be a different person than mine so best way to contact is to call Robalo factory and ask for customer service. They had the rep contact me within an hour or so after I called the factory.  On 06/14/21, I was advised by my dealer that Yamaha is now regularly pushing out updates due to the supply chain issue so your dealer MAY have an ETA, but maybe not. A shipment of Yamaha outboards arrived at Port Seattle the first week of June. Of course, it takes time to offload the containers from the ship and redistribute to the dealer network. As of 06/14/21, my dealer advised me that Yamaha states all outboards should be on the way to dealers by June 22 and arrive at dealerships within a week after that. I advise you to contact your dealer and/or factory Rep regarding this ongoing issue an update. See my previous posts. My boat came offline in mid May, but was supposed to arrive fully built/assembled at dealer around May 3rd. My boat and trailer have been at dealership in Orlando for weeks, but Yamaha 150 is now expected to arrive around June 25-30??? This is beyond the control of Robalo and your dealer and is due to the worldwide breakdown of the supply chain. Good luck!

Edited by DH202EX
Correct dates to indicate 06/14/21
  • 2 weeks later...

Ordered my robalo from orlando dealership in March. Told boat would arrive mid June. 

Boat is week late but no motor. Shipped with no motor!  Dealership sure took my monies indicated boat would arrive in June.

Just left out little detail about no motor.

Robalo should refund our monies in good faith. 

What guarantees the dealership can mount motor correctly. 

Waiting months for boat now this! 

On 5/18/2021 at 3:52 PM, DH202EX said:

I was wondering if you had an update - was your engine actually on that shipment?? If so it does seem like you should be close to getting on the water.

On/about June 15, I checked with Dealer’s Choice Marine in Orlando to inquire about any updates. Salesman indicated latest info from Yamaha still pointed to the June 22 shipping date and salesman further stated that they usually get the outboards about 4 days later, but Yamaha advises shipping to the dealership can take up to one week which would be June 29. Salesperson advised me that he would notify me as soon as my 150 arrives.  At this point, I am barely excited about this boat. I have purchased 8 new boats since 1974, and was eager and excited to get out on the water with each one. But this prolonged ordeal has dampened my enthusiasm. Actually, at this point, I somewhat regret making the purchase in late March, but I am hopeful that the outboard will arrive by June 29.  MAYBE my excitement will resurface then. HOPEFULLY, the engine which is usually mounted by factory personnel will be professionally mounted at the dealership and I will not encounter any issues later. Good luck to everybody who is waiting and waiting on your Robalo boat/Yamaha outboard!

I contacted customer service directly at Robalo as suggested and received an e-mail response saying that - in essence - until my dealer has the boat Yamaha won’t give an update. There was an implication that the engine wasn’t in the US yet which means to me - from previous comments - I’m at least a month out - likely more. Has anyone cancelled this year’s order yet? I’m tempted as the season in Maine isn’t like the season further South. My past boats have gone into storage as early as late September and taking delivery of a boat to launch it into a warehouse is depreciation I don’t need.

On a slightly different but slightly annoyed note - he stated that he’s seen customers get very ‘lucky’ and have their motors delivered very quickly. The obvious implication is that some folks are likely receiving preferential treatment when it comes to delivery - which sort of makes me want to not re-order for next year. A good friend that is a dealer for Mercs indicated that favored or repeat customers will frequently cut the line for parts, hard to get accessories and so he doesn’t see why it wouldn’t happen for motors.  Anyone else have this experience??

I know in general this isn’t anyone’s fault - but if lines are being skipped - that’s an annoyance. 

Another missed Delivery Date.  Purchase Agreement dated March 27.  Original projected delivery date to dealership was on/about May 3rd. During June, I was advised engine would arrive at dealership by June 29.  On June 28, I was advised that a new SHIPPING DATE for the engine is now JULY 19. Who knows if it will ship on that date,  when dealership may actually receive it, and when installation of engine and hydraulics will be completed???  Even allowing for COVID and logistical issues, communication from Robalo, Yamaha, and the dealership has been very poor in my opinion.  What an ordeal!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Signed my purchase agreement in late March as well for a r180. I was originally told, when I signed, it would be delivered the 3rd week of July. It is now supposed to be completed July 30th according to the dealership, with no estimate as to delivery. I also was told that it will be shipped with the engine, although I’m not sure I entirely trust that. Either way, my boating season usually ends around late September, weather permitting. Hoping to get a few weekends out this year. Becoming increasingly frustrating looking at an empty boat slip. 

9 hours ago, DH202EX said:

Drewster R222EX -- Redfishchaser --  Baby Bear -- Rick T       How about a status update? 

So just got this update today - the engine "might" (note isn't confirmed) be dleivered August 1st - unlikely since that's a sunay - so let's say August 2nd or 3rd. Even if that is true - my boating season generally ends after labor day (work, work work!!!) so I informed the delaer that "In my mind, if the boat isn't in the water by the beginning of August - I may as well punt and look at 2022s.

His response was to let me know that they would store it for free and mount the engine for next summer - of course I need to pay for it as soon as the engine arrives. Clearly that isn't going to happen.

Current status is that he maintains that there I'll be at the back of the line for a 2022 and likely won't get one - which I guess I don't entirely beleive, but even if I do - maybe Robalo isn't the boat for me. Of course there is the 10% price increase being threatened - but I've been told by other boat dealers that they are price protecting their customers for the 2022 season if their boats didn't arrive - so again, maybe Robalo isn't doing what other boat dealers are doing. It gives me pause. 

What are people's thoughts on this - honestly, if they could gurantee the boat is on my mooring by August 7th I'd go for it - but I just don't believe the engine will be dlievered the 1st - and even if it is I don't believe the can get it installed and delivered to the lake before mid month. I also have sort of lost faith in the entire comunication process.