R242 Center Console Questions

Hello

I am working on a build for a 2022 R242 CC and have a few questions.  I am coming from Great Lakes boating to inland boating on an Army Corps of Engineers Lake (Beaver Lake, NW Arkansas).  This boat will be used for recreational pleasure boating and light to moderate fishing.  Beaver Lake is a relatively small lake of roughly 32,000 acres and has a max distance of approximately 50 miles.  You cannot find a point on this lake where you cannot see at least 2 shorelines.

My first question is regarding power.  Coming from significantly larger cabin cruisers with twins, I am accustomed to the increased control with twins and can't/won't go back to a single.  I have looked and looked to no avail at finding statistics on this boat with Twin 150's and Twin 200's.  I can't find anything meaningful.  Do any of you have statistics (time to plane, fuel efficiency, top speeds, etc) of either, or both, of these two engine packages?  Any recommendations on Twin 150's vs. Twin 200's beyond the statistics?

Next is electronics.  I have been out of boating for several years and have not kept up with electronics.  Based on my intended use, and your experiences, can you make a recommendation between the 12" single screen or twin 9" screens for the Simrad NSS Evo3?  From a cost perspective, getting it right with the build order is important!

Last is audio.  From your experience, is the upgraded JL package worth the expense or can better value be found in building with stock and replacing it in it's entirety with an after market system?

On the yamaha outboard website they have performance date for R242 with twin 150s and R247 (same hull and weight is close). Boattest.com has more test data on twin 150s. Says time to plane 3.3 seconds I have single F200XB on R222EX. No issue powerwise with 5+ adults. I put my weight around 5000lb loaded that is 25lb/hp. Twin 150s has got that covered on R242. Twin 200's is overkill for only 9000 more if you have the money than get the hp, you also now have digital engines. Digital engines work great. I have a boat with digital Etec. If you go with twin digital engines go with 2 screens. I have SIMRAD GO9. I like it. NSS9 would  be better. Simrads give you option to use Navionics or CMAP cards whichever is better for your lake. I have Garmin, Navionics and Simrad units on multiple boats. I like the Simrad. Plus both will be networked with NMEA 2000 backbone. They have to be,  since all engine data will be displayed on multifunction displays.I have the Clarion system and it is ok. The stereo upgrade to me is over priced.Speakers are $350 a pair, amp is about $250. It does include extra wiring to speakers for lights not included with base. I would get VHF installed by factory if you plan on having one as they run wire to electronics box and install antenna. Just one note. The transducer installed is a thruhull good for accuracy at speed but it doesn't get all the functionality of the MFD. No downscan, chirp or sidescan. Will need to install  another transducer.  I have an active image 3in1 transom mounted one. Thats my 2 cents from someone who boats off of Cape May NJ

1 hour ago, Jersey Shore said:

On the yamaha outboard website they have performance date for R242 with twin 150s and R247 (same hull and weight is close). Boattest.com has more test data on twin 150s. Says time to plane 3.3 seconds I have single F200XB on R222EX. No issue powerwise with 5+ adults. I put my weight around 5000lb loaded that is 25lb/hp. Twin 150s has got that covered on R242. Twin 200's is overkill for only 9000 more if you have the money than get the hp, you also now have digital engines. Digital engines work great. I have a boat with digital Etec. If you go with twin digital engines go with 2 screens. I have SIMRAD GO9. I like it. NSS9 would  be better. Simrads give you option to use Navionics or CMAP cards whichever is better for your lake. I have Garmin, Navionics and Simrad units on multiple boats. I like the Simrad. Plus both will be networked with NMEA 2000 backbone. They have to be,  since all engine data will be displayed on multifunction displays.I have the Clarion system and it is ok. The stereo upgrade to me is over priced.Speakers are $350 a pair, amp is about $250. It does include extra wiring to speakers for lights not included with base. I would get VHF installed by factory if you plan on having one as they run wire to electronics box and install antenna. Just one note. The transducer installed is a thruhull good for accuracy at speed but it doesn't get all the functionality of the MFD. No downscan, chirp or sidescan. Will need to install  another transducer.  I have an active image 3in1 transom mounted one. Thats my 2 cents from someone who boats off of Cape May NJ

Thanks Jersey Shore.  I appreciate the detailed feedback!

15 minutes ago, Jersey Shore said:

What i am hear is delivery times are far out because of demand. Hope you get something before weather gets nice.

HA!  2021 production is completely booked so you are at the mercy of what is available on the street and I haven't found anything equipped as I would like it.  I was originally told that I could order now, it would be a 2022 model and I would, hopefully, see it by November.  One of my local dealers said they just received 4 production slots in July so I will have it by August.  Frustrating, but it is what it is, I guess.  If I'm going to spend this much money, I'd rather wait a little longer and get it exactly as I want it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 6 month old Robalo 242 Center Console.  I went to start the boat this afternoon and it wouldn't start and i think both batteries are dead.  Batteries shouldn't be dead this quick?  Anyone else experiencing this or having electrical problems.  Weather is cool about 50 degrees but was in the upper 20's this morning.  I have a 300HP Yamaha.

Crusher.

17 hours ago, Richard Martin said:

I have a 6 month old Robalo 242 Center Console.  I went to start the boat this afternoon and it wouldn't start and i think both batteries are dead.  Batteries shouldn't be dead this quick?  Anyone else experiencing this or having electrical problems.  Weather is cool about 50 degrees but was in the upper 20's this morning.  I have a 300HP Yamaha.

Crusher.

No, your batteries shouldn't be dead. However, was the battery switch left on? Is it in the water and maybe the bilge pump ran a lot? I've had all my recent boats in a boatel and even left for several months the batteries rarely drop below 13 volts and still have lots of amps left. Battery switch is always off when stored and no rain in storage so I don't expect the batteries to drop.

If your switch is off and bilge isn't running your battery must have some type of electrical drain going on or you've got bad batteries. Probably something is pulling the batteries down and the way to determine what is fairly involved. Start by making sure when you turn the battery switch to off that everything except the circuit to the automatic bilge pump is off.

Good luck