2021 R200 Electronics?

I would go with the biggest screen that you can afford and fit. I got  a 222 with a standard 7" and upgraded to a 9" later  because that's all  I had room for. I would have gotten a 12" if I had the space even though price jumps significantly. Remember you have to live with whatever you get and its such a central and essential piece of equipment that integrates with so many other components now. I don't think you will regret going big.

• 2 weeks later...

I measured the console on my R207 prior to getting the boat. As I made the deal I had the dealer install a Lowrance screen because it was the largest that would fit the available space (I did have to show the dealer it would fit before he would agree to install it). Later I replaced it myself with a Raymarine that actually was about a quarter inch smaller, but the same screen size.

My suggestion to you is to find out what space is actually usable and then find a chartplotter that will fit. Install it yourself if you can and save money, or have the dealer do it for a few extra dollars.

My Sailfish came with a 10" Garmin screen and I'm happy with that running radar and depth/fish finder. However when having the split screen reading the AIS boat names is difficult as the letters blur together on longer names. I'll probably upgrade to a 12" just for the AIS readability, but the 10" really does fine for most everything else.

I'm not sure the differences are very much between manufacturers anymore. Over the last 20 years or so, I've had Lowrance, Raymarine, Garmin and Simrad. Each had some positives and negatives. Right now I've got Garmin chartplotter, Garmin Fantom Radar , Fusion Radio (a Garmin product that via NMEA can be controlled on chartplotter), Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF (can't stand the Garmin VHF) and it interfaces to the chartplotter via NMEA 0183 for AIS visibility, and a Simrad autopilot.

I'm not positive, but I think the Garmin autopilot would have been a better choice. The Simrad works fine, but took a lot of adjusting to get it to fine. I think the Garmin works better out of the box, but I didn't like it's warranty limitations and warnings about getting wet. Just seemed strange that something on a boat stresses not getting it wet, but where I've got the autopilot it shouldn't ever get wet anyway.

Good luck with your choices. One personal warning. Touch screens can be hard to operate when bouncing over waves and having wet hands. I like the knobs better and even those can be tough to operate when bouncing. Yesterday in 3 foot waves and 1 foot chop I must have tried 3 or 4 times to switch screens before I could select the one I wanted. Can't imagine how long it would have taken with a touch screen.

• 3 weeks later...

I've bought a lot of cars and motorcycles but this is the first boat and what a difference. I wasn't going to get a t-top but now I am because of radar and a easy choice to place the VHF radio in a box above the console. Don't know which ones but I'll have them. Then the fish finder/plotter/depth etc. Where well it end. LOL Then there's where should the transducer go...hull or transom? It's going to be hilarious.

I'll try and make it easier. Transom transducers are less expensive and have the same or better features than thru hulls IMO. They are easier to swap out to get new features or if broken. Most transom transducers won't provide a good picture (if any) at high speeds.

Thru hulls aren't likely to get broken and will provide a good picture at all speeds. Swapping one out is a serious undertaking due to having them waterproofed under the hull. Make sure to get the features you need the first time.

I've had both and I like thru hulls over transom mounts. I never have to worry about it like a transom mount with grandkids hanging around the boarding ladder and playing. Transom mounts can create a spray into the boat if set incorrectly (did that while trying to adjust it down further to get a picture at higher speeds). Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Boat is at dealer and I went to two places locally to get estimate on electronics...needless to say I didn't think this trough or I may not have got the boat. Both places quote around 12K for VHF w/AIS send/receive, 12" plotter/FF/GPS, radar, antennas, battery charger all installed. One was with all Garmin and the other Furno. OUCH!!!

Those costs are not unrealistic. VERY few small boats have AIS send. You'll save about 1k by removing the send capability. I have VHS/AIS receive radio ( Standard Horizon GX2200) and tie it into the Garmin plotter to show received AIS. Have a Garmin Fantom 24" radar I installed. Battery Charger came with the boat.

The AIS is useful offshore to warn via an alarm when ships getting close and I only use inshore to see the ship/boat's name in case I want to call them. I don't recommend Garmin radio, but a Garmin chartplotter and radar are fine. I also have an autopilot so I don't have to steer on long trips and use the chartplotter to set the course. Depending on your planned use an autopilot can be a real asset. Single handed trolling with multiple lines is almost impossible in the ocean without the autopilot.

Sorry you were unaware of the costs and you can dial it back if you like by getting a smaller chartplotter, and no AIS send. I really like a touch screen, but found I can't use one with wet hands while bouncing around in the ocean, so I have dials and buttons - and it's cheaper than the touch screen. I also did all the installations which provided additional savings, although I must admit some frustrations. But, I learned a lot along the way.

Good luck, and good boating!

Very good points. I had wanted all the protection/safety I could afford because our channel between the mainland and islands, only 9 miles, but all the cargo ship traffic goes through there. We also have a very large charter boat fleet in our area. After sleeping on it, I am leaning towards not getting the radar yet and only venturing out on clear days. We get some serious fog here at times but this is going to start out as a pleasure /fishing boat, not a charter boat.

I need a big screen because 60 year old eyes need all the help they can get. LOL

Installation was based on a 4 year warranty by the installer. I have friends that offered to help install everything, but who do you call if something is wrong? I hate electrical work, that's an understatement. I maintained all my motorcycles until they got CPU's and fuel injection. Ah, adjusting the valves on a 1950 Panhead in a parking lot while out for a ride, good times.

Appreciate your insight.

So Cal Fly Guy - For your R200... Start off by installing a fixed VHF radio with AIS receive (look at the Standard Horizon GX2400) and a Simrad G09 (or similar) chart plotter. Location, direction, speed and potential collision warning for all of the commercial and charter boat traffic will show up on the chart plotter. These two devices will provide a "good bang for the buck" and will significantly add to a safe boating experience near high commercial traffic areas.

Going on the test ride tomorrow and ordered a cover and battery charger today. Looks simple enough to install the charger and after 1.5 hours of searching, I could not find the thread I think I saw here on the plug/plugs you need to be able to connect charger to home outlet. I believer one was a Minn Kota 23 saltwater ac power port. Is there another? Sorry but I am sure I'll be asking a lot of questions as this is my first boat.

I have a 2018 R200. I didn’t get any dealer provided electronics because of the cost! It’s easy enough to do yourself. I installed a Raymarine Axiom9 and I think I could squeeze a 12” if I tried. I also have a Standard Horizon VHS radio in the lower left side of the console.

Wayne, I got the electronics box above the console for the VHF and anything else I can put in there. On every motorcycle I bought I learned something about what I'd need. first boat, plan on only boat so I want to find it out before making a mistake. Really appreciate the input by everyone. One business said he could put anything I wanted on the dash, just cut the old one out and re do it. I thought, for one second "How cool" until my brain reminded me what he said. Also been trying to stick to "need", not "want".