Captain Dave

2018 R242

I am looking at what appears to be a very lightly used 242 and need some opinions of the boat.  I have been a big boat sailor all of my life and don't know a lot about powerboats.  Looking for Great Lakes in the summer and travel in the winter for diving and fishing.  Input?

I have a 2017 R242 with the yamaha 300.  We do a lot of fishing with it and I absolutely love the boat.  I am up on the St. Lawrence River and take it out on Lake Ontario often.  Boat rides great and handles the chop very well and we stay dry.  When we have a group of people visiting we throw in all the cushions and there is plenty of seating for 8-9 people.   I recently put on a minn kota ulterra 36v trolling motor with a 72" shaft which has worked out great for fishing the River.  It did add quite a bit of weight to the boat.  At first I had some minor issues such as a cracked hydraulic steering fitting, a loose livewell hose clamp, and some stress cracks in the gel coat on top of the gunnels.  All issues were fixed by the dealer.  By reading this forum it seems that some robalos are made better than others.  I would suggest spending some time examining every inch of the boat to make sure you don't have one of their lemons.